[AusNOG] New NGFW recommendations

Jason Ross jason at ethisec.com.au
Fri Aug 5 12:22:49 EST 2016

I'm a Sophos partner and certified instructor and the XG platform is pretty good but isn't quite there yet in many ways. This may or may not impact you depending on what your requirements are.

Currently it isn't feature compatible with the UTM which will mean that you can't do a 1:1 migration to them XG platform however this should mostly be fixed in release 16 due in 3-4 months time. You really need to work out what is required before you move existing customers from the UTM to the XG platform, new customers are usually not an issue.

Also there won't be a UTM to XG migration tool until 16.5 so depending on configurations this is all a very manual process which may be time consuming.

Overall the platform works well, it has good user identification, application control, IPS functionality and web filtering (for the most part it is OK) etc which is pretty easy to understand and manage. As a partner you also get access to the cloud based firewall management platform which is potentially a big time and cost saver.

I've probably taught 100 partners across APAC this year and so far I've not heard any major complaints, this also matches my own personal experience.

Sophos are doing a lot of partner enablement training at the moment, see if you can get on an Architect course to work out if it is the right platform for you.

My go to platform is usually Palo Alto Networks firewall, however if Sophos keep developing this platform on a feature/cost/performance basis Sophos will be where I do a lot more business.

Jason Ross, CISSP, PAN CNSI

Principal Consultant and Managing Director
EthiSEC Pty Ltd

Level 9, Avaya House
123 Epping Rd, North Ryde 2113
O: 1300 67 22 75
D: 02 8209 6488
M: 0401 988 248

>>> Randall Bradford <Randall.Bradford at maxsolutions.com.au> 5/08/2016 10:29 AM >>>
We are replacing our older ASA5520 Firewall.  We currently use Sophos for end point protection.  Has anyone have any pros/cons using Sophos XG?

Randall