[AusNOG] Consultation on s313(3) use

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 01:20:18 EST 2016

There's days when I think people in our industry have gotten too close to
the ones and zeros, and lost sight of the bigger picture. The State has an
obligation to protect people and property in those realms where it
exercises sovereign jurisdiction. Regulation of the internet has lagged due
to a gap in what the technology can deliver, and the Wild West spirit with
which adventurers have sought to carve out territory in the internet. This
is in no one's best interests, and it's irresponsible to think that as
technology makes enforcement possible, legislation requiring it won't
inevitably follow.

If we're honest, current technology is capable of routing the IPs of
suspect FQDNs for DPI leaving the bulk of internet traffic untouched (as is
done in the UK's CleanFeed). In such a scenario, the privacy arguments no
longer wash, and the technology arguments that applied 10 years ago have
been outpaced by Moore's Law. Time our industry picked its socks up.

The Inquiry mentions that instead of silent blocking, there should
redirection to a blocking page, notification that the page has been
blocked, the reason for the block, and a line of appeal. That all seems
ridiculously sensible.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins