[AusNOG] Telstra using US DOD IP's like they are RFC1918

Shaun Dwyer shaun at dwyer.id.au
Fri Apr 22 16:13:04 EST 2016

Using bogon space, even in an internal network can be troublesome. I'd suggest ipv6 before ipv4 bogons.

I have a client using some bogon space internally, and even though you tweak the knobs in $vendor’s product to permit the specific bogon range, some protocols have hard-coded  ‘do-not-forward-this-ever’... and stuff breaks. In this particular network, we’ve ended up with a few corner cases that we’d rather not have. Interoperability via VPNs to external networks is a big problem for them too. You almost always end up NAT’ing or migrating servers into sensible IP space. Some times is bugs, other times its other networks not wanting to permit bogons.

Cheers!
Shaun