[AusNOG] Telstra using US DOD IP's like they are RFC1918

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Fri Apr 22 13:03:41 EST 2016

On 22/04/2016 11:31 am, Ben Hohnke wrote:
> That site does state that those ranges aren't advertised publicly, and
> only used internally - at lease I'm not receiving them on my feeds:
> xxx-xxx-BDR01#sh ip bgp 30.0.0.0
> % Network not in table
> xxx-xxx-BDR01#sh ip bgp 30.0.0.0/8 <http://30.0.0.0/8> longer-prefixes
> xxx-xxx-BDR01#
>
> Doesn't make it right, however I'm sure in a network of Telstra's scale,
> RFC1918 exhaustion is would be an issue!

240.0.0.0/4 is only unused because "Many implementations of the TCP/IP
protocol stack have the 240.0.0.0/4 address block marked as
experimental, and prevent the host from forwarding IP packets with
addresses drawn from this address block.". However, since this is only
for their internal network WAN links, the only hosts who need to be able
to access this are the hosts inside that network. Since that is a small
subset of devices, I find it hard to believe that Telstra couldn't
convince their vendors to make a (hidden) knob somewhere to make this IP
space reachable on their software.

See also https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilson-class-e-02 and
http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/oct/14/ipv4-exhaustion-what-about-class-e-addresses/

But yeah don't steal other peoples IP space, people will get upset if
you start to leak that.

Edwin