[AusNOG] Seeking GPON hardware supplier

Paul Brooks paul.brooks at tridentsc.com.au
Thu Apr 21 10:41:27 EST 2016

On 21/04/2016 8:09 AM, Ben Thompson wrote:

> Direct copper seems to beat fibre - it's cheaper, and at these distances we're still
> upgradeable to 10Gb. Maintenance is about the same.
Bear in mind that if you are talking about using the existing shared riser copper
cabling, there are mutual-interference issues to be aware of, mid-span injection power
concerns, depending on the frequency spectrum used by the equipment.  Shared
in-building riser copper is likely to be regulated soon, if you're thinking of using
some form of VDSL2/G.FAST system up the riser.      If you are really thinking of
10GbE on proper dedicated Cat6a cable, this won't be a concern of course.

Paul