[AusNOG] Switch Port Utilisation Monitoring

Paul Koch paul.koch137 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:50:43 EST 2016

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:20:35 +0800
Tim Raphael <raphael.timothy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like a tool that could tell me exactly how many switch ports are in
> use across a given time period. This is an enterprise environment so it’s
> not just the case of taking a snapshot in time, devices turn on and off so
> I’d want something that could monitor the port counts for a week or so and
> spit out a report.
>
> Also, as per usual, the cheaper (free?) the better!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> - Tim

It's an 'out of the box' report in AKIPS.  The poller collects
IF-MIB.ifOperStatus for every interface every minute and records the last
time it changed state.  The Unused Interface report filter allows you to
select a range of either 1, 2, 5, 7, 14, 30, 60, 90 or 180 days.  You can
group devices by type/location/vendor/etc and drill down on each device to
see which interfaces are not used, and last time they were used.

Example screen shot at:  http://www.akips.com/downloads/unused-interfaces.png

	Paul.