[AusNOG] Multi-Mode vs. Single-Mode in DC's

Nik Geyer nik at neko.id.au
Thu Apr 7 10:28:20 EST 2016

MMF optics may be cheaper but they are one component of a greater TCO equation, e.g. I need to burn 12 cores of MM for 40GE (excluding BiDi) which has associated cabling costs (structured runs, termination, FOBOT's and so on). I'm also not sure if anything has changed but it was virtually impossible to get MPO pre-term patch leads in Australia for the first six months of last year, so I couldn't even connect my shiny 40GE optics to anything!

SMF for inter-rack to /easily/ support 40/100GE, DAC for Intra-rack.

Sent from my iPhone