[AusNOG] iinet shaping / traffic prioritisation

Mark Stewart mark at nabc.com.au
Wed Sep 23 18:27:40 EST 2015

Afternoon!

Spotted on our iinet ADSL2+ Offnet Internet connection a clear case of traffic prioritisation / shaping going on. It started about 3 days ago where any traffic other than Microsoft Update traffic was running at 1.5mbit/sec or less.

Perform a Windows update or Office update and the traffic spikes to maximum throughput of the ADSL2+ connection. Have checked this on multiple systems including a brand new notebook on our network with all performing the exact same result. Done the usual checks and the issue is definitely not being generated within the network.

Has anyone else spotted this issue? Especially on Offnet connections?

Regards,

Mark.