[AusNOG] First good news from Parliament in a while

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 14:51:37 EST 2015

On 22 Sep 2015 14:31, "Damian Guppy" <the.damo at gmail.com> wrote:

> "There are some people in the content industry who believe that the costs
[of anti-piracy measures] should be borne in whole or part by the
telecommunications sector - by the ISPs," Turnbull said.

> "I don't find that a persuasive argument."
>

> Well that is interesting to see his opinion now he's boss.

I think that has always been his opinion.

> --Damian
>

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Turnbull has moved quickly to transfer responsibility for the Copyright
Act away from Attorney General's to the Department of Communications.

>> This strikes me as a highly sensible move. Rather than depriving Brand
of the power to enforce the Copyright Act, the real issue is that having
copyright enforcement within Attorney Generals was always going to be a
cause of real or perceived governance issues, even without the data
retention.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/malcolm-turnbull-clips-george-brandis-online-piracy-wings-20150921-gjrsbm.html