[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Sun Sep 20 13:49:36 EST 2015

>> It has nothing to do with an ability to identify and enforce the Act,
>> it has to do with the wording of the legislation.

> The CAC we hope makes their determinations based on the legislation

Hope, sure.... but rely??

> some here, like myself have been told Email must be retained regardless
> of if your an ISP/Webhost if your storage is in Australia

Then they've been advised wrongly. Also, ISP != Webhost.
You can be an ISP without being a webost (although few are)
You can be a webhost withoug being an ISP (under the act)

> everyone will read it the way they want Mark, clearly like you do

Reading it "the way you want" doesn't necessarily make that interpretation
right however.

> your opinion doesn't matter if it differs from the CACs, since they are
> the governing body of this mess.

This is just plain wrong though.
They are not infallable, and certainly some of the information given by
them (as reported in this and other forums) is manifestly WRONG.

The opinion of the AGD and/or the CAC are not LAW. It may well be some of
their "bad calls" will need to be tested in the proper forum - that is,
the court. Then, and only then will you have an answer you can bank on.

There remains before then (and more likely AFTER then), changes in
legislation to close perceived loopholes, and/or for "the department" to
declare certain companies or perhaps even classes of operators to be
covered under the DR act - but until those declarations are made, opinions
(pretty much anyones "opinion" - but especially those without legal
training in the relevant fields) are just that - opinions.

Disagreeing with the AGD/CAC might be a "bold move", and is unlikely to
win you any friends in the department - but if you have deep pockets and a
strong conviction you're right and they're not, testing it in court
remains the only path of certain resolution!

R.