[AusNOG] ACCC pushes for consumer internet speed test, telcos aren't keen on the idea

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Sun Sep 13 20:23:49 EST 2015

On 13Sep15, Mark Smith allegedly wrote:

> > exorbitant backhaul costs to build to 126 PoI's

> I think many more POIs was necessary to achieve the necessary
> availability

> In the 14 POI model, a POI failure (accidental or intentional

I must admit, that always worried me too. Though to be fair, there are
other physical choke points in Australia that add up to less than
14. Eg, the number of distinct submarine cable landing stations is
unlikely to even approach that number for decades to come.

Even so, a lack of diversity in one part is no excuse for locking in
poor diversity in other parts. And a "2-POIs per state" model would
definitely have been a low diversity lock-in for the next century.

Does the Warrnambool exchange fire give us an inkling as to what a POI
failure might look like? Or more importantly what the MTT-Repair looks
like? Multiplying by 10 is not a pretty thought.

Mark.