[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Sep 11 14:40:29 EST 2015

haven't we done this aspect already?

On 11/09/2015 1:12 PM, Chad Kelly wrote:
> That said the government do have rules surrounding lobbying but thats because they
> are required to have at least a couple to try and prevent too much influence, but if
> you have the right organisation structure and know the right people its not that
> hard to change the governments decisions, but you need to have a say very early on
> when legislation is being developed not at the 11th hour.
> We need an industry body setup that has a  specific role to look after the needs of
> web hosting providers and ISps and that can lobby government. The community radio
> sector have had one for years, if that wasn't the case the government would of
> stopped funding them years ago, its only through lobbying that the sector gets a few
> million a year.
> Same goes for a lot of other groups and parts of our society.

You had one. It used to do stuff on your behalf. You let it die through lack of
support and funding.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/iia-to-develop-industry-copyright-code/story-e6frgakx-1226019713655

The one that is left most active  - CommsAlliance - many people on this list won't
have anything to do with.
Another one - CCC - might be a good fit, but doesn't have any recognition in these
parts either. http://www.ccc.asn.au/
On the not-for-profit volunteer end, Internet Australia (my hat) has been putting in a
huge amount of effort on your behalf, but the more we do, the more it is criticised,
and you (the ISPs) haven't exactly been breaking down the doors to support the effort
through paid memberships and participation. http://www.internet.org.au.

Its almost as if people here think ISPs, telcos, carriers, web hosts, are somehow
different these days and require separate representation, as if the whole
nethead/bellhead thing of 20+ years ago in a different country still means anything here.
Or you expect an organisation and representative to magically represent and lobby for
your interests for free, without any financial support from you.

Get off your collective asses and either do it personally, or pay someone $$$$$ to do
it for you. Preferrably both.
Or stop filling inboxes with wingeing about the result of doing nothing.

Paul.