[AusNOG] Legal Challenge To Meta Data Laws

Andrew Kitchen a.kitchen at xi.com.au
Thu Sep 10 09:24:46 EST 2015

Hey Everyone

Over the last few weeks there has been discussions on this forum about Content Service Providers having to keep data retention obligations.  We finally have a ruling from the AG yesterday in relation to this issue yesterday and if you are an ISP and you are offering these services then you must retain meta data.  However if you don’t meet the category outlined in the data retention legislation then you don’t have to….

So in other words if you don’t offer ISP type services and all you do is offer Content based services such as Web Hosting etc then you don’t have data retention obligations.

This is anti competitive and will force ISP to either wear the costs and maybe make a loss or forced to but up pricing which will make them not able to compete in the marketplace.

I feel there is a viable legal challenge to these laws for ISP’s who offer web hosting and other services and I am looking for expressions of interest who would be interested in joining a possible class action against the government.  I would be looking at service providers who would join the challenge to assist in covering costs to

A)  Taking out an injunction against the Federal Government to stop ISP having to comply with the meta data retention laws until a full hearing of the Federal Court can be heard
B)  Full legal defence prepared and presented to the Federal Court
C)  Each party responsible for costs – this means that we aren’t hit with government legal bills

This whole legislation is very badly written, it gives an unfair advantage to non ISP based content providers and in my legal opinion would be winnable.

So if anyone is interested in sharing the costs to challenge these very badly designed and executed laws then would be happy to hear from you.

Regards

Andrew Kitchen

[[image]]

Andrew Kitchen | Business DevelopmentStrategist
PO Box 3279, The Pines, Victoria, 3109
T 1300 789 299 D 03 9909 3102 M 0449 561 461 F 03 8611 7946
a.kitchen at xi.com.au<mailto:a.kitchen at xi.com.au> | www.xi.com.au<http://www.xi.com.au>

[cid:channel_select_87px_225_rgb3e7ec4]  [cid:vmw_09q4_lgo_partner_solution_provider_pro3b3025]  [cid:avg_goldreseller_rgb4bcb0d] [cid:propartner_logo_reg_imgfbcfe8]

This email message and any attachments are the property of X Integration. The contents of this email are copyright and may also be confidential and/or legally privileged. They are intended solely for the addressee and it is not intended that either confidentiality or privilege be waived or lost by mistaken delivery to you. Please notify us immediately and delete this communication if received in error. Consider the environment before printing this email.