[AusNOG] (no subject)

Dylan Chidgey dylan.chidgey at cirruscomms.com.au
Fri Sep 4 09:19:39 EST 2015

Pigeons FTW

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8248056.stm

-----Original Message-----
From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Smith
Sent: Thursday, 3 September 2015 5:33 PM
To: Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>
Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] (no subject)

On 3 September 2015 at 17:17, Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>
wrote:
> If I use hungry eagles instead, will I be:
> (a) non-compliant with the RFC
> (b) offering a lower-latency service
> (c) subject to ACCC investigation when other's links mysteriously fail
> (d) all of the above

So if pigeon loss is too high, it might be necessary to resort to a more
reliable link layer, taking into account BCP 89/RFC 3819's advice ("Advice
for Internet Subnetwork Designers"),

"Error recovery in the subnetwork is therefore
   justifiable only to the extent that it can enhance overall
   performance.  It is important to recognize that a subnetwork can go
   too far in attempting to provide error recovery services in the
   Internet environment.  Subnet reliability should be "lightweight",
   i.e., it only has to be "good enough", *not* perfect."

and resort to a tank link-layer.

RFC 1217, "Memo from the Consortium for Slow Commotion Research (CSCR)"

"  This system uses a highly redundant optical communication technique
   to achieve ultra-low, ultra-robust transmission.  The basic unit is
   the M1A1 tank.  Each tank is labelled with the number 0 or 1 painted
   four feet high on the tank turret in yellow, day-glo luminescent
   paint."