[AusNOG] ADSL2 DSLAM Connectivity on premise

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Oct 27 23:44:08 EST 2015

The regulations you are looking for is the mandatory Industry Code C559 Unconditioned
Local Loop Service (ULLS) Network Deployment

http://www.commsalliance.com.au/Documents/all/codes/c559
at least read Part 1 and Part 2, and Deployment Class 6h in Part 3.

Regulatory-wise, you could in theory run the DSLAM at full power since it is on
private copper lines (almost identical to in-building copper up a building riser if
the DSLAM is installed in the basement) and C559 only has regulatory effect on
outside-plant copper, so you couldn't be hauled up in front of ACMA.

However don't do this - as John pointed out, this would cause mid-point injection
crosstalk issues and completely clobber any DSL services that anybody has running from
the exchange in the same binder. The other services will also clobber your lines'
upstream signal. It could be viewed as anti-competitive conduct interfering with
services from other carriers and you might find yourself explaining it to the ACCC
instead, and all your pissed off residents with exchange-based DSL that used to work.

What you CAN do is apply an attenuating pad factor to reduce the output power of your
DSLAM to the same signal levels that an exchange-based service would have by the time
the signal reaches from the exchange to your MDF. This is what Telstra DSLAMs in RIM
cabinets do to avoid clobbering exchange-based services. Then you cause no more
cross-talk than another exchange-based service on a parallel line. You might be able
to do this in your DSLAM software. Speak to your DSLAM vendor.

see http://www.commsalliance.com.au/Documents/all/codes/c559/ndcs for the approved
attenuation pad factors - the further your private MDF is from the exchange, the more
attenuation you need to apply.

If your private MDF is a long way from the exchange, you could also apply a mask to
your DSLAM output to prevent it transmitting on the low frequencies that
exchange-based services would still be using, and just use the higher frequencies that
have died out from exchange services at the distance of your MDF from the exchange, so
the cross-talk will be invisible to exchange-based DSL services - just use the high
frequencies, and use them at full power. You won't get 24 Mbps - but you might be able
to provide higher linerates than exchange-based services can.

Paul.