[AusNOG] Office Link Needed (Fibre or alike) Sydney

Purdon, Bob bobp at purdon.id.au
Thu Oct 22 19:28:39 EST 2015

On 22 October 2015 at 13:54, Bevan Slattery <bevan at slattery.net.au> wrote:

> OMG.  Only to be topped by 530 Collins.  I remember PIPE taking over the
> Ausbone rack there.  I remember Steve or Bob saying they couldn't get the
> floor tiles to sit on the raised structure meaning the tiles were
> effectively "floating" on the cables :). The cabling in that rack was
> possibly the worst in living memory.

I know I said that once, and Steve may well have also.  IIRC, the raised
floor was 300mm above the slab and the cables were pressed up against the
underside of the floor tiles.  I've probably got a photo somewhere.  Had to
stand and/or gently jump on one particular tile to get it to sit down on
the stringers again.

In a move that obviously went against the convention at that site, I did in
fact remove quite a few cables as part of cleaning that rack up, which in
turn helped that tile fit just a little bit better.

I also recall running a cable or two in there before I was at PIPE and
despite there being trays (which I actually used), the general cable
routing convention seemed to be just go point A to point B, and if that
means going diagonally across the room then that's what happened.

Wonder how many tonnes of cable there were under that floor? :-)