[AusNOG] Internode IPv6 Support

David Beveridge dave at bevhost.com
Tue Oct 20 14:51:35 EST 2015

Still haven't heard from internode!  is there anyone there?...

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 October 2015 at 12:17, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> >> The point was to make sure that a user with a single PC plugged into
> >> the ethernet jack on their bridged-mode CPE would have a working
> >> internet service.
> >
> > But I don't get one. Waah! Why don't I get one?
> >
> > My theory: The MikroTik only has a DHCPv6-PD client configured on the
> > outside interface, not a DHCPv6 client. So it can pick up a prefix OK,
> > but won't get a GUA. Router interfaces don't do SLAAC,
>
> Actually, routers doing SLAAC on their WAN interface is supported in
> RFC7084, "Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers" (W-1 and
> WAA-1 requirements).
>
> I think SLAAC on the PE-CE link and DHCPv6-PD for the downstream is
> the most accommodating model as, as Mark said, it allows a PC to be
> directly plugged into the service, which is useful even if just for
> troubleshooting of the service.
>
> > so it won't get a
> > GUA that way either - but a singleton PC on a bridge-mode CPE *would* do
> > DHCPv6 and/or SLAAC, so would get an address.
> >
> > I must try plugging a box directly into my bridge-mode CPE to see what
> > happens.

So I just did that, I used my fedora 20 laptop with rp-pppoe & wide-dhcpv6.
As soon as ppp0 comes up, it has an IPv4 and IPv6 address on it.

When I run the dhcp6c client in PD mode, It keeps sending SOLICIT messages
and receives nothing back, I used tcpdump to confirm, nothing comes back.

Perhaps this has something to be with the fact it's an NBN connection; who
knows.

Thanks everyone for your help, I was hoping that someone from Internode who
actually knows IPv6 would contact me, but I don't think that will happen.

dave