[AusNOG] Data retention

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Oct 13 12:38:19 EST 2015

On Oct 13, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Peter Fern <ausnog at 0xc0dedbad.com> wrote:

> On 10/13/2015 12:07, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
>>
>> It occurs to me that if folks were latency-sensitive, it would be a
>> simple matter to find an overseas company who has .au endpoints?
>> There are plenty around -  ExpressVPN, PureVPN, BlackVPN, Overplay,
>> and VPNSecure come to mind quickly.
>
> But then they're subject to data retention…

Why? They aren’t licensed carriers or ISPs, why would the data retention legislation apply to them?

For that matter: An Australian company (who isn’t a licensed carrier or ISP) could offer a local privacy-enhancing VPN service without invoking our data retention requirements.

Maybe there’s a business opportunity going begging there. Just not for anyone on this list.

  - mark