[AusNOG] Data retention

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Tue Oct 13 12:19:48 EST 2015

On 13 October 2015 at 12:16, Peter Fern <ausnog at 0xc0dedbad.com> wrote:

> On 10/13/2015 12:07, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> >
> > It occurs to me that if folks were latency-sensitive, it would be a
> > simple matter to find an overseas company who has .au endpoints?
> > There are plenty around -  ExpressVPN, PureVPN, BlackVPN, Overplay,
> > and VPNSecure come to mind quickly.
>
> But then they're subject to data retention...

How do you figure that? A US company (especially one who is only providing
VPN services, so is not an ISP) is not subject to data retention..?

Or do you mean data retention from the VPN provider's colo provider?  In
that case yes, but think of the number of sessions coming out behind that
one IP address - it's not going to be overly useful?

--

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust