[AusNOG] Disturbing new spam trend?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Oct 7 11:28:33 EST 2015

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Scott Howard wrote:

> The next header in the chain will reveal all.  Is there a reason you didn't
> include it?

Only that it was a scree-shot and I didn't feel like typing it ALL back in
:)

Here it is, with only a few bits obfuscated to preserve the recipients
identity.

http://support.rossw.net/spam-7oct2015.gif

Things worthy of pointing out:
1. The alleged sender doesn't use Thunderbird.
2. My mail server doesn't have a timezone of +0100
3. None of the mail IDs that claim to be associated with this appear in my
maillogs
4. No mail to or from this domain were offered to, received by or sent
from my mail server on within 24 hours of this time.

I wasn't so much concerned about the spam itself, as I was about something
I haven't previously observed.

R.