[AusNOG] [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Nov 24 22:18:37 EST 2015

On 24 Nov 2015, at 9:53 PM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think where we disagree, is where the "net neutrality" argument applies. In my opinion, what's being discussed in the political sphere, is where consolidation of transit by large content providers, results in their content being treated preferentially.

Wut?

You’re not getting content over transit; you’re picking it up over peering and from CDN nodes on your own network, right?

And why would it matter what Australian transit providers do, when there are several non-Australian transit providers who don’t even know who Ziggy Switkowski is, and couldn’t give a damn what rounding-error Australians think about the Internet.

Ziggy is the chairman of NBN. His argument is about NBN. He’s proposing picking winners and losers on the NNI between ISPs and NBN’s access network. This has zero to do with transit.

> Also, in my previous post, for video transfer via UDP, read interactive video.

Eh? We already have interactive video. It works on TCP.

Why on earth would anyone want to run video over UDP, where the non-delivery of a single datagram means your video stream is rendered unwatchable until the next MPEG i-frame? That’s crazy, UDP is a terrible transport for video.

  - mark