[AusNOG] Copyright Act 1968 - SECT 115A

Julian De Marchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Tue Nov 24 21:23:59 EST 2015

On 24/11/2015 8:35 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Julian,
>
> Can you keep updated if the lawyers decide to proceed?

I'll keep the community updated with what I can with-in the law.

> Given you don't have to actually attend court (hence incurring costs - but
> I'd sit in the background anyhow), don't they have to prove to the court a
> few things anyhow.

Which is exactly what the legislation lays out. This is why I raised the
issue with the community, education.

> Especially since this seems to be a trademark issue, not a copyright one.
> I'd let the people bringing the action spend their money in court - don't
> defend it as it doesn't really make much of a difference as they have a
> test to meet anyhow, and whether or not they meet that test is largely up
> to the judge and not you.

I don't need to defend anything here as per legislation. It does state
if any party(ISP) does defend, then they are liable.

> The odd thing is... you are a small ISP... and these guys would have to
> bring the suit many times over to get any effect.

Indeed. I think they were testing the waters to see if it could be
by-passed. Again, which is why I raised it here.

> I'd like to see them take on Telstra/Optus/TPG/iinet to see what they would
> do in this situation.  Or... are you being used as a test case..... but
> honestly, it seems like a pissy little issue, so likely it is just a threat
> and wont proceed beyond that unless they want to throw a lot of money
> around.

I agree totally with you here. I really think I might have been a test
case here to see if we'd just do what they asked. However we have a
responsibility in this game. I just want the issue aired so if other
ISPs get similar letters from others they have a reminder of how they
should be treating it.

Again it highlights how our government is failing the ISP industry.
Maybe they should "consult" more next time, and not just with the big
players or Comms Alliance.

I'd like to see town hall style meetings take place where they can
invite regional and city ISPs whenever they decide to consult.

--julian