[AusNOG] Fwd: [Internet Australia - members] Net neutrality

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:43:41 EST 2015

On 24 Nov 2015 8:49 AM, "Skeeve Stevens" <skeeve+ausnog at theispguy.com>
wrote:

> So,
>
> Ziggy wants to have a discussion about Net Neutrality.  Well, he should
join Ausnog where everyone is and have that discussion.

Define network neutrality. Is it

(a) applying QoS, so that latency sensitive apps get priority over bulk
throughout apps?

(b) artificially creating congestion so that then you can force content
providers to pay you to make their content uncongested? ("Fastlanes")

(c) providing some content providers advantages over others, that is also
to your benefit, such that their content is more attractive to customers,
disadvantaging their competitors? (e.g., zero metering one but not all VoD
content providers traffic)

(d) blocking a content provider's website, then ransoming access to your
customers' eyeballs?

I'm comfortable with (a), but not with the rest. So am I for or against
"network neutrality"?

> My first opinion is that no, the NBN should not have a right at all to
decide on whether OTT companies are charged extra. He is free to have an
opinion like anyone else on the discussion - but not a right to decide at
all.

> But NBN is one of the biggest reasons that the OTT players like Netflix
are an issue because of the costs of their CVCs.

> I think the debate at the moment should more be about the government
writing off the NBN as an asset so they don't have to do cost recovery and
should be able to eliminate the CVC charges entirely.

does @internetAUS - this affects everyone.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/nbn-chairman-ziggy-switkowski-wants-to-talk-about-net-neutrality-20151121-gl4s8n.html
 …