[AusNOG] Remote Work - (SIP/Security/CGNAT)

Luke Iggleden luke at iggleden.com
Fri Nov 13 09:59:59 EST 2015

Hi Noggers,

We've recently been tasked with assisting getting SIP running from
Australia to the Philippines for remote staff workers on DSL tails. SIP
server is in Sydney, behind Vocus transit.

It appears that CGNAT is a hurdle, plus 350-450ms of latency, and the
inability to obtain a static IP on a 'residential' grade tail.

We're now using Fortigate SSL VPN tunnel as a solution, and just routing
the SIP server down the split tunnel, but not sure if this really makes
the situation worse or not, and I'm looking to hear other ideas and
battle stories!

What are people using out there to deliver a reliable service that
sounds good? -plus:

- Get around CGNat RTP Audio/SIP transport issues
- Ensure SIP server is not open to the world due to dynamic IP's connecting
- Keep the bandwidth requirements to a minimum - Assume low speed DSL
(2M/512k)

Direct carrier links are not a possibility unfortunately as the staff
all work from home offices.

Cheers,

Luke