[AusNOG] OT: Police Wardriving. Where else but QLD!

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au
Wed Nov 11 13:51:34 EST 2015

A recent update since 2012.

This QPS FCCG initiative is referenced on page 471 of
https://www.organisedcrimeinquiry.qld.gov.au/

The relevant press articles are:
- http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-02/police-anti-fraud-project-subject-of-corruption-probe/6904914
- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/02/tech_sponsored_qld_police_project_queried_by_corruption_probe/

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 13:06, Robert Brockway <robert at
timetraveller.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Greg Lipschitz wrote:
>
>  If this isn't a waste of tax payer money I don't know what is!
>>

> Hi all.  Many of the comments seem to assume that police officers will be
> dedicated to this.  I think it is more likely that this will be done as
> part of regular police patrols.  Police already engage in a variety of
> proactive activities while patrolling, and having them note the locations
> of open APs in the log will be easily slotted in to their existing duties.
> Even targetting specific areas is consistent with their existing duties.
> During a typical shift a police crew will be tasked with patrolling a
> variety of areas anyway.
>
> Modern policing doesn't work the way most people seem to think it works. A
> lot of effort goes into intel and practive activities.  If intel suggests
> that open APs are related to a significant amount of criminal activity (eg
> fraud) then this could indeed make sense.
>
> The letters will presumably be sent out by public servants, so this won't
> drain operational resources either.
>
> It may or may not be a successful program but I don't think it will be a
> significant drain on resources.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob (the ex Queensland copper)
>
> --
> Email: robert at timetraveller.org         Linux counter ID #16440
> IRC: Solver (OFTC & Freenode)
> Free & Open Source: The revolution that quietly changed the world
> "One ought not to believe anything, save that which can be proven by
> nature and the force of reason" -- Frederick II (26 December 1194 – 13
> December 1250)

Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact