[AusNOG] load balancing ADSl connections

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Nov 4 07:19:55 EST 2015

Hey Jock,

I think you're looking at the wrong side of the network as the one you need
to focus on the legalities of..?  You can do whatever you want with your
ADSL services.  Your legal issues are going to be in the wireless network
itself - if your'e passing third party traffic (i.e. the users of the
wireless network are not on the same property as you), then you need to be
a licensed carrier.

On 4 November 2015 at 06:41, Jock Graham <jock at farmapps.com.au> wrote:

> *Hi All,*
>

> *Am new to this group but would really like some advice on the legalities
> of load balancing multiple ADSL connections to supply a rural wireless
> network with fast broadband. Are you able to onsell connections to this
> kind of network if the adsl lines are the primary backhaul? It seems to be
> the cheapest alternative when you only have a few clients on the wireless
> network, but unsure what this means legally.*
>

> *Other alternatives where to buy ip transit ADSL lines to a data centre
> and bond connections then have access through a layer 2 provider, but found
> its very expensive for the limited bandwidth. *
>

> *We have a wireless networks over 20 km with multipoint connections for
> the rural community and really want the lowest cost backhaul, with the best
> throughput which seems ADSL load balacing but just concerned about the
> legalities of this with major providers (Telstra, Optus, AAPT). Are there
> any providers that allow this to occur?*
>

> *Regards*
>

> *Jock*
>

> *Jock at eulonga.com.au <Jock at eulonga.com.au>*

Damien Gardner Jnr