[AusNOG] 10Gb Switching - Cheap but good

Russell Brenner rbrenner at Brocade.com
Sat May 30 21:45:52 EST 2015

There are a number of wireless vendors and lab setups that would tend to disagree with that, but alas, it's conjecture until it's to be seen in the market.

Given the speed the IEEE operate at, it's no wonder it seems premature :)

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:17 AM -0700, "James Andrewartha" <trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au<mailto:trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>> wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2015, Russell Brenner wrote:

> 10GBASE-T is pretty nasty in terms of power consumption, so the MGBASE-T will provide a few other lower power options (as well
> as EEE for 10GBASE-T).
> There are presently no options for 802.11ac wave 2 when it hits the market, since 10GBASE-T + PoE+ would require an enormous
> amount of power and subsequent cooling, not something that bodes well with enterprise comms environments.

802.11ac wave 2 doesn't need multigigabit in an enterprise environment.
I've gone on about this almost a year ago [1], but the short version is
that real-world performance won't exceed 1Gbps full-duplex, and you're
better off having many APs than big powerful ones since the high rates are
extremely distance limited. Worst case you could run two cables, the
high-end APs all come with two ethernet ports these days.

Now, 802.11ax, or "High Efficiency WLAN" which is learning from the
lessons of 802.11ac and trying to improve real-world performance
instead of just the headline numbers, might change things. But that's
another 2+ years away.

[1] http://lists.ausnog.net/pipermail/ausnog/2014-July/025361.html

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |