[AusNOG] 10Gb Switching - Cheap but good

Josh Tipping josh.tipping at icita.com
Sat May 30 16:34:16 EST 2015

Agreed on QFSP+ these days, it's not a second mortgage to buy supporting hardware :) we've been seeing a bit of that kit going out the door lately

Josh Tipping
Chief Technical Officer | iCITA
M: 0422 428 877<tel:0422%20428%20877>
P: 1300 935 383<tel:1300%20935%20383>
E: josh.tipping at icita.com<mailto:josh.tipping at icita.com>
A: Suite 3, 10-12 Wharf Crescent | Pyrmont NSW 2009<x-apple-data-detectors://12/4>

On 30 May 2015, at 2:47 pm, Russell Brenner <rbrenner at Brocade.com<mailto:rbrenner at Brocade.com>> wrote:

MGBASE-T probably doesn’t arouse a lot of fun in the DC, since it was led by the Open Industry Alliance and the IEEE for the purposes of wireless.

10GBASE-T is pretty nasty in terms of power consumption, so the MGBASE-T will provide a few other lower power options (as well as EEE for 10GBASE-T).

There are presently no options for 802.11ac wave 2 when it hits the market, since 10GBASE-T + PoE+ would require an enormous amount of power and subsequent cooling, not something that bodes well with enterprise comms environments.

And FWIW, QSFP Twinax is pretty inexpensive these days, I mean, it’s not cheap, but it’s not ridiculous, so maybe your lab dreams are just around the corner Skeeve. We’ve plenty of customers that have it running in smaller environments and labs.