[AusNOG] 10Gb Switching - Cheap but good

Russell Brenner rbrenner at Brocade.com
Sat May 30 09:28:30 EST 2015

Bias, I know, but modes both are relatively inexpensive (7250 prob more so, depends on config). Contact me off list if interested.

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 4:01 PM -0700, "Tom Berryman" <Tom at connectivityit.com.au<mailto:Tom at connectivityit.com.au>> wrote:

Even the ICX6450 with a POD for the 2nd pair of ports.

From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Robert Hudson
Sent: Saturday, 30 May 2015 8:35 AM
To: Skeeve Stevens
Cc: <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] 10Gb Switching - Cheap but good

Brocade ICX-7250-24?

http://www.brocade.com/products/all/switches/product-details/icx-7250-switch/index.page

Price may be the biggest factor there.

On 29 May 2015 at 00:23, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com<mailto:skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com>> wrote:
Hey all,

Was doing some lab testing and needed some cheap 10Gb SFP+ ports - so used the Mikrotik CRS210-8G-2S+IN.

What a piece of junk. The OS isn't too bad but the switch hardware can't even keep its 10Gb ports up for very long without dying with little errors. What do you expect for $300 right?

So, I am looking for a stable 10Gb (SFP+) solution... 2 ports, preferably 4 SFP+, with a stable OS that can move VLANs around simply with trunks and VLAN access supported. I don't need much super fancy, but a 1RU form factor with rack mounting would be nice. A selection of 1Gb copper ports obviously. Remote ssh (or telnet if I have to) would be appreciated - not GUI please.

I think 1k-ish would be reasonable... I don't need Cisco or Juniper...

Recommendations?

...Skeeve

Skeeve Stevens - Founder & Chief Network Architect
eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
Email: skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com<mailto:skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com>

Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; Skype: skeeve

LinkedIn: /in/skeeve<http://linkedin.com/in/skeeve> ; Expert360: Profile<https://expert360.com/profile/d54a9>