[AusNOG] NBNCo Tails to Plane Seats?

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:23:30 EST 2015

> I think that most people who advocate satellites don't have an
> appreciation as to how much impact latency has on end-user experience. I
> think satellite should only be the absolute last resort once every other
> terrestrial and therefore much low latency option has been considered and
> isn't possible.

Mark,
The issue I guess is that there's an enormous productivity gain in
delivering basic internet (email/web browsing), for which you don't need
low latency nor especially high bandwidth. This is why I've always believed
satellite to be a natural fit for delivering a baseline service in
rural/regional areas where terrestrial connectivity isn't cost effective.
This is born out in experience by the US market, and the Australian
geography is even more disperse once you get outside the population centres.

Paul Wilkins