[AusNOG] TPG vs the world

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Fri May 1 16:13:14 EST 2015

On 5/1/2015 2:51 PM, Shane Short wrote:
> That's a little bit of a different market though, most hosting
> providers (small fries excluded) aren't dependent on buying services
> from other hosting providers. In the retail ISP/Smaller Carrier
> market, you're often having to buy services from the people you're
> often competing against, which makes things even more difficult.

That part of it isn't too much different to the ISP space though, not
many hosting providers own their own data centre as an example, so they
are still relying on third party providers.
Also not too many hosts are domain name registrars, and we only have one
or two wholesale providers for that side of things in this country as
well now. So it is similar for some things, including control panels,
Cpanel has been dominant for years now.

The tricky part with these ISP buyout discussions, is that TPG actually
have shares in IINet as an example, where as most of the hosting
companies acquisitions have been much more straight forward, as they are
generally structured in a much less complex way in terms of the shares.
The M2 deal for IINet does look pretty good though.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager