[AusNOG] Metadata defined in the bill

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon Mar 30 02:31:11 EST 2015

On 30/03/2015 12:10 AM, James Andrewartha wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Paul Brooks wrote:
>
>> Nobody is going to write you a letter - everyone has already been told, as its written
>> in the legislation.
>> Unlike carrier licenses, there is no register of CSPs, so they don't know who to write
>> to anyway.
>> What you need to do first is written in the legislation - Sections 187E and 187F would
>> be a good place to start.
>> You're welcome.
> However, as far as I can tell, CSPs aren't (yet) covered by the new law.
> See 187A(3)(b):
>
> it is a service:
>   (i) operated by a carrier; or
>   (ii) operated by an internet service provider (within the meaning of Schedule
>        5 to the Broadcasting Services Act 1992); or
>   (iii) of a kind for which a declaration under subsection (3A) is in
>         force; and
>
> So CSP-operated services aren't covered, unless (until?) the minister
> starts delcaring them, every 40 sitting days (roughly twice a year). Para
> 418 in the Revised EM confirms that 187A(3) is what defines a relevant
> service.

Nice try, but remember, this is being added to the TIAA. In the TIAA, the term
'carrier' is redefined....

"carrier means:
        (a) except in Parts 5-4 and 5-4A:
                (i) a carrier (within the meaning of the Telecommunications Act 1997);
or
                (ii) a carriage service provider;  and
        (b) in Parts   5-4 and 5-4A—a carrier (within the meaning of the
Telecommunications Act 1997).
"
('carriage service provider' is defined in the TIAA to be a CSP per the Telco Act)

so yes - it is intended to apply to CSPs as well as licensed carriers.