[AusNOG] Meta Data Encryption

Julian De Marchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Fri Mar 27 12:40:07 EST 2015

On 27/03/15 11:28, Nick Stallman wrote:
> Is there a timeframe involved? Most raw logs aren't encrypted.

I'm reading this as most people haven't read the legislation.

I'll post it again:

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/bills/r5375_third-reps/toc_pdf/14242b01.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf#search=%22legislation/bills/r5375_third-reps/0000%22

TL;DR

 - 18 months to implement the scheme
 - must submit your plan to CAC first for approval, once approved you
MUST implement the scheme, this plan must list what you're currently
doing and what you will do
 - the privacy act in it's current form does not cover companies with a
revenue under 3mill PA
 - collecting web browsing history is _optional_

What is vague is the request for funding. Details are short on that. I'm
a small SP so will require assistance, otherwise I'll be adding a "data
retention" tax to my customers bills. However this is covered here:

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/billsdgs/3733407/upload_binary/3733407.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf#search=%22legislation/billsdgs/3733407%22

There is this beauty on page 51 last paragraph is this:

" First ‘as a number of service providers have acknowledged’ the
telecommunications services offered enable‘ serious criminal activity
and threats to national security’ and hence there‘ is an argument that
service providers should bear some of the cost of addressing these
external harms’ that their services facilitate."

Which I find rather insulting.

--julian