[AusNOG] IPv6

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 27 11:09:15 EST 2015

      From: Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org>
 To: Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>
Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
 Sent: Friday, 27 March 2015, 2:27
 Subject: Re: [AusNOG] IPv6

In message <72fbb5e21eb9245bccc5791ec31c6922 at ausics.net>, Noel Butler writes:
<snip>

> I run v6 at home courtesy of HE, have done for a while, my mrtg graphs
> dont get above a few hundred kB a day for v6 traffic - mostly to google
> I dare say, hell, not even twitter goes via 6, and IDGAF about
> faecesbook so no traffic goes any direction near that hole.

Pick a tunnel end point / broker closer to you or turn off Happy
Eyeballs.  This is measuring IPv4 native vs IPv6 tunneled to the
other side of the Pacific if you are using the topologically closest
HE end point.  It is not measuring IPv4 native vs IPv6 native.
/ To make Mark's point slightly clearer, native IPv4 has been preferred over tunnelled IPv6 for many years - IIRC I encountered this change in preference in around 2008 under Linux. This is a reasonable default, tunnelled IPv6 is commonly not going to be as good as native IPv4.
/ Under Linux, the address selection preferences can be changed using gai.conf(5).
/ If you change that preference or have native IPv6 connectivity, all or most of your Google traffic (including Youtube), Facebook and now Netflix traffic will come over IPv6.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                INTERNET: marka at isc.org