[AusNOG] Who makes good UPS gear besides APC?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Mar 20 08:15:24 EST 2015

> Is anyone considering fuel cells a suitable replacement for UPS?

12 years ago, viable fuel cell tech for ~1000-5000 watts was 2-3 years
away. Now it seems even further away than it was then, and even more
costly. Most of the cells I've seen are wanting "6 nines" fuel purity and
that's expensive.

> On the same point regarding alternative power sources; considering DC power
> is more efficient (i.e. no loss wasted on conversion), why aren't more
> people going down the route of DC powered servers and storage ?

Superficially, DC seems simpler, more efficient and more straightforward,
but batteries are funky things. There are a plethora of considerations -
most of them bad - for datacentre type use. Size, space and weight - when
you're paying for space, battery efficiency when you're paying for power,
additional heat, larger cable sizes, more difficult to work on and with,
more expensive switchgear, less common equipment to use it.

Batteries don't hold a nice, neat, clean x.x volts so still need power
"supplies", their charging and floating requirements are demanding, they
have limited cycle life and require periodic replacement, additional
maintenance, and lets not even get started on the problems of emissions
from cells (unless fully sealed). Sealed cells are even more finniky with
their voltages, temperatures etc.

There's hazardous materials considerations, there's also the consideration
of power remaining on in a rack during say, a fire...

> A couple of rectifiers and some deep cycle batteries would be overkill
> for most small requirements.

My own office has a a primary bank of Lithium FerroPhosphate cells, and a
backup bank of AGM lead-acid cells (48 x 2V/500AH). I'll be phasing out
all the AGMs and replacing with LFP. Nothing of any consequence is running
off the (nominal) 48V DC because it's simply not suitable nor practical.
Everything runs from 240VAC, even if 99% of things convert it back to low
voltage DC internally (or through power bricks).

Redundant 240VAC supplies are (IMO) a better solution than running
everything off batteries.

(Might be different for a few hundred watts of load maximum)

R.