[AusNOG] Who makes good UPS gear besides APC?

Mark Currie MCurrie at laserfast.com.au
Thu Mar 19 21:55:24 EST 2015

Eaton do pretty decent kit...

SOHO
http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Backup-Power-UPS/PC-Workstation-Home-AV/default.aspx

Network/Server
http://powerquality.eaton.com/Australia/Products-services/Backup-Power-UPS/Network-Server.asp

Mark Currie

-----Original Message-----
From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Tim Sheahan
Sent: Thursday, 19 March 2015 9:16 PM
To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: [AusNOG] Who makes good UPS gear besides APC?

Good evening folks,

I'm looking for some insight as to who's making good UPS gear besides APC these days. I've checked the Sepember thread and still have some questions.

We've been buying APC for a long time and had an extremely disappointing run.

Two rackmount UPSes, dead before their time. All the desktop units we bought, dead.

All of them failed to power-off, even when AC was available.

This makes us want to look further afield, and the question in mind is - what else is good - who's had good experiences with longevity?

I've heard it said a UPS is not forever, and that's fine, however - should we really have to put up with high rates of all-out failure rather than degraded battery performance?

I'm looking for units in the 1.3kw to 2kw class, rack mount and desktop.

  - Tim