[AusNOG] Yay, internet censorship legislation this week too.

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Mar 17 21:55:21 EST 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, Nick Stallman wrote:

> You know it is almost the perfect illusion of genuine debate.
>
> One side takes it too far, then the other side says absolutely not!
> You'd have to change X, Y, and Z before it becomes a remote possibility.
>
> They change those points and get exactly what they wanted to begin with?
> And both sides look like they assessed the situation, debated and
> compromised.

In a previous life I wrote software for a paramilitary company. The CEO
used to inspect and sign off on projects at every stage. We learned to
write things as we wanted, then to introduce an "obvious" something. He
wasn't happy until he'd made SOME change, and it was easier for us to give
him something we could easily fix, but left all the hard work unchanged.

30+ years later, it's still happening... only the players have changed.