[AusNOG] CA Data Retention costs letter to Ministers

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:22:10 EST 2015

On 16 March 2015 at 12:59, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For CEOs to insist the government baseline the cost of data retention to
> their businesses is no more than due diligence. Else, the government may
> quite happily push the legislation through, with the industry carrying the
> cost. But if the government has to bear the cost, there may be stricter
> scrutiny of the bill's costs and objectives, all to the good, imo.

I don't think the government cares about the cost or who wears it,
regardless of whether it's $4, $400m or even $4b (unless of course they're
using it as a point to justify crying about a budget emergency).  They
don't even understand the impact of the legislation to start with, and
they're not the ones actually pushing for it - that's the AGD/ASIO/etc, and
they don't care at all what the cost is, as long as they don't pay it out
of their own budgets (which regardless of whether it's paid for out of
government or industry funding, they won't have to worry about).