[AusNOG] Jobs - degree vs experience?

Ross Annetts ross.annetts at digitalpacific.com.au
Tue Mar 10 12:15:16 EST 2015

On 10/03/2015 11:08 am, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:
> For those of you who are doing degrees that have some sort of focus on networking, do you feel you are getting value for money from your paid education or are you simply jumping through the hoops for a piece of paper at the end? Is this purely so you can seek employment?
At UTS the core networking subjects are the CCNA academy classes, so
CCNA1-4 and CCNA Security. With a lot of the time dedicated to hands on,
they have pretty decent lab setups so I felt like I got my moneys worth.
Have also done a Mobile Networking subject (not vendor related) which
was really interesting. Saying that there are quite a few soft skills
and programming subjects to get through also which has broadened my
skill set.

> / Specific to this, I think is a good and easy way to judge the quality of what you're being taught - are you taught IPv4 variable length subnetting and CIDR? Both of them are over 20 years old both in concept and start of deployment.
Since its based on the CCNA they still teach classful networking
concepts, the original spanning tree, frame relay and a lot of legacy
content. Did get frustrating since there was a lot of content to get
through and mostly theory, but in hind sight it did help my
understanding of why we have their modern replacements.

--
Regards,
Ross Annetts