[AusNOG] Peering on Seperate ASN

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 9 19:49:39 EST 2015

________________________________
From: Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org>
To: daniel at glovine.com.au
Cc: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Sent: Monday, 9 March 2015, 18:14
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Peering on Seperate ASN

On 6 Mar 2015, at 5:55 pm, daniel at glovine.com.au wrote:

He was interested to know if he can peer with a separate ASN to what he uses for transit,  AKA

>Transit ASN 1001
>Peering ASN 1002
>And then setting up BGP between the 2
>Would this work correctly using internal IP’s between the 2 BGP sides?
>By my knowledge I believe this could work, But want to make sure

It isn’t a question of whether it could work, it’s a question of what possible reason you’d have to do it that way.

/ I'm also curious to know why. I can only think of reasons why it would just make things harder without any benefit. If it is motivated by classifying routes into transit and peering received, that is what BGP communities are for.

Why not transit and peering on the same ASN, just like virtually every other network operator on the planet?  What is driving your customer to invent a unique deployment with side-effects they (and you) aren’t equipped to debug, when there are tens of thousands of networks out there doing exactly the same thing in a standard, well-understood way?

Sounds like complexity for complexity’s sake.

  - mark