[AusNOG] Jobs - degree vs experience?

Phillip Grasso phillip.grasso at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:21:54 EST 2015

1) personal character matters most, team fit, personality, learning
ability, cognitive capability etc.
2) real work experience
3) degree / certification.

In order of difficulty evaluating and getting solid data goes from 1->3

So what most employers do is evaluate 3->1. Mostly due to poor data quality
the other way.

University degrees do help get in the door and the real experience comes
from on the job experience and motivation of individual to learn (inside
and outside of work).  Its more about the individual, augmenting a
university education adds to their capability and gives them important
benefit of learning critical thinking. Whilst it is entirely possible and
common to learn this without university, it improves the likelihood (not a
guarantee) of those critical thinking skills.