[AusNOG] MS Exchange issues with Telstra

Alastair Waddell awaddell at legion.com.au
Thu Mar 5 16:27:20 EST 2015

This is a great chance to plug DNSCrypt

https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy

which is a simple and permanent fix for DNS privacy without any big hit on
performance. It uses UDP 443 by default and picks one of OpenDNS' (or a
selection of other providers') caches. I *think* its smart about location
but I've not debugged (I don't have any issue with the resolution time).

It has one single knob (on OS X) to workaround captive portals (which does
allow a MITM to forcibly downgrade security which is why I have the knob
unset and deal with captive portals manually).

Regards,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Ben Cooper <ben at zeno.io> wrote:

> side note: telstra block using any DNS but their on NextG as well, had to
> make scripts to switch off DNS settings when using telstra.

Alastair Waddell

Legion Internet

Australia