[AusNOG] ICANN to bring an end to TLD privacy?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jun 25 17:39:07 EST 2015

In message <CAOu9xNLnq3KHJ9GXQnw-35cBOUWB15WcHRFVWsY2pA_suqR_1Q at mail.gmail.com>
, Robert Hudson writes:
> On 25 June 2015 at 17:07, Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:
>
> > Being identifiable as the owner of a domain name also helps create a level
> > of responsibility and accountability for the actions of the people using
> > it. I'd wager that is far more important than protecting the privacy of a
> > domain owner - when facts like the name of a company director/owner and the
> > details of registered incorporated societies (etc) are also in the public
> > record, the requirement for a domain to be registered to a legally
> > identifiable entity is a "nothing" issue. Better for domain owners to be
> > able to recognise that particular type of fraud for what it is, than use
> > that as an excuse to permit the kind of noise routinely attributed to
> > anonymous services online ?
> >

> So you're saying that the vast majority of people who don't do the wrong
> thing should have their privacy reduced in order to catch the small
> percentage of people doing the wrong thing?
>
> That the innocent majority should suffer so that the illegitimate majority
> can just find another loophole that will protect them as they continue on
> their merry way doing the wrong thing/s anyway?
>
> Where have I heard this before...

The primary reason for the records is to be able to contact someone
when the DNS is broken.  This requires out-of-band communication.
Trying to fix things through a third party is difficult to down
right impossible.

Now if registries would check delegation data regularly there would
be less need to contact registants so there would be less need to
have publically visible contact data.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC