[AusNOG] Zettagrid Sydney Offline

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Wed Jun 24 19:40:04 EST 2015

On 6/24/2015 3:33 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> If you're paying a small fortune for virtual server hosting and your entire business or a large amount of customers has been down since 0715 and you are not being provided an ETA then I think you would want answers as well.

They don't force clients to sign contracts for SLA credit, and they
offfer free trials.
They seam to be going for the more budget end of the market, which is
fine if your services are not mission critical, and if you just want a
server to experiment with, but for anything mission critical I'd go with
a more enterprise grade provider.
Or at least discuss your needs with Zettagrid  in more detail if
everything has been ok apart from this one issue.
I started off using more budget server providers but now only use
enterprise grade providers and have never looked back, but it depends on
your business model and what you want to achieve.
With VMware as well if you use dedicated hardware and then split that
hardware up into VMs it works out cheaper then buying a bunch of
separate servers as the licencing is cheaper.
So for 2 or more servers on your own hardware it works out pretty good.
But you need to make sure the hardware has a decent replacement
guarantee in case it fails.
Zettagrid do have a large range of offerings though so its making sure
that you get setup with a solution that fits your needs.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager