[AusNOG] Zettagrid Sydney Offline

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Wed Jun 24 13:00:28 EST 2015

+1

Failures happen, even in the most redundant well architected
infrastructure. If it didn't, we wouldn't need to be on call, because we
*all* do things properly and perfectly, right?

I've had instances where you set up things like a SAN with redundant
storage controllers, only to have the failover either not work properly,
or not work at all. I highly suspect that's what's happened here, given
the information in the updates.

You can't just shuck the responsibility of redundancy to your compute
provider... as much as they're clearly trying to do the right thing,
*you* should be planning for the worst, while hoping for the best. *You*
should have a DR plan, backups and failure options. If you're so heavily
impacted by a compute outage, I suggest *you* aren't doing something
right either.

So much for DR plans....
-Shane