[AusNOG] Australian senate passes controversial anti-piracy, website-blocking laws

Shain Singh shain.singh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 21:48:29 EST 2015

On 23 June 2015 at 20:59, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

>  This would be the logical, un-obtrusive way (in terms of implementation)
> to take effect, however it is easily bypassed (say setting 8.8.8.8 as your
> computers DNS), and if the ISP is further expected to help control that
> issue.

The general populace is not so tech-savvy... and even you probably can't
control ALL devices you browse/surf web with.

I think that is a moot point as it's easy to hijack port 53 traffic going
across your network (have a search on Google for ISPs that interfere with
NXDOMAIN traffic to serve their own pages for example on NANOG list).

Also, just because something is easy to bypass doesn't make it less legal.
It is easy to bypass underage drinking laws as an example, that doesn't
potentially mean we shouldn't have that law.

--
Shaineel Singh
e: shain.singh at gmail.com
p: +61 422 921 951
w: http://buffet.shainsingh.com

--
"Too many have dispensed with generosity to practice charity" - Albert Camus