[AusNOG] From the AGD - Data Retention - Starts October 15 2015

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Jun 16 09:19:32 EST 2015

George and all, firstly, been away so excuse the late reply.

Then George I suspect there are a lot of people here are in fact
misinformed.

As I previously commented, by reading of the Act, you are required, I
also did not make it clear it seems that webhosts ARE required because I
had AGD's advice on that, I dont know or care what some special interest
groups (who are all mostly self chest beaters anyway - ACL anybody)
think of it, anyone who looks with open eyes and spends an hour reading
the Act and its related's that pull you in, would see this.

To make it clearer since you clearly aint ever gunna take my word for
it, this is my original reply from the Communication Access Coordinator
for our web hosting regardless of "relevant service" for SP's, if you
offer email you bound by it.

IN WEB HOSTING THERE ARE TWO SERVICES WE TREAT AS SEPARATE

THE FIRST SERVICE IS THE SERVER HOSTING. ASSUMING THAT YOU ARE CARRIER,
CARRIAGE SERVICE OR
INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER, THIS SERVICE IS A ‘RELEVANT SERVICE’.

THIS MEANS THAT THE SERVICE HAS DATA RETENTION OBLIGATIONS UNLESS THERE
IS A VALID EXCLUSION.

THE SECOND SERVICE IS THE EMAIL SERVICE. WHILE YOU OFFER THIS SERVICE AS
A PRODUCT IN COMBINATION
WITH WEB HOSTING, WE CONSIDER THE TWO AS SEPARATE SERVICES FOR THE
PURPOSE OF DATA RETENTION. THE EMAIL
SERVICE ALSO HAS DATA RETENTION OBLIGATIONS.

I WOULD ALSO ENCOURAGE YOU TO SUBMIT A DATA RETENTION IMPLEMENTATION.
THIS WOULD WARRANT A FORMAL
RESPONSE FROM THE COMMUNICATIONS ACCESS CO-ORDINATOR ALLOWING YOU TO
KNOW WHETHER WE CONSIDER THAT
THE WAY YOU INTEND TO IMPLEMENT DATA RETENTION OBLIGATIONS IS
APPROPRIATE.

... END

Now as for the first, I believe I already pointed out why webhosts are
regarded as service providers.

regardless of the former (argueing wif you are a SP or not), the later
applies anyway.

Dont waste your time flaming or arguing with me either, argue with the
AG Dept since that is there determination that you ARE required to
comply.