[AusNOG] CLI SIP utility?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Thu Jul 23 17:05:52 EST 2015

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015, Peter Fern wrote:

> On 07/23/2015 16:46, Ross Wheeler wrote:
>>
>> Yes. Because the particular individual(s) who need notified in this
>> specific instance, may not regularly check email, and certainly may
>> not check it in a timely manner.
>>
>> If (for example) a remote transmitter site gets broken into, they may
>> want an urgent response from a patrol person who WILL get a phone call
>> immediately, even if they're driving around, but who WON'T get an
>> email for some indeterminate time period.
>
> Just send an SMS like most people do?  Over-complicating these things is
> rarely a fruitful endeavor.

The phones in question may not always be a mobile.
In some cases, they're landlines that are answered if someone is on-site,
or diverted to whoever is on-call.

I'm sorry, I didn't go into all the details WHY voice calls were
necessary. SMS will reach some, but not all. Email will reach some but not
all. Voicemail is too unreliable. Everything I thought of and considered
was ruled out for one reason or another, voice delivery was ultimately the
only remaining option, which is why I asked for that specific solution.

I have a few (virtually identical, but much larger) installations where
asterisk does this, and it works very well. Asterisk is somewhat overkill
for these specific tasks, hence I was looking for something that could do
the same job, using the same delivery techniques - all tried and proven.

R.