[AusNOG] Apple say "biasing towards IPv6 is now beneficial for our customers"

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:30:11 EST 2015

On 14 July 2015 at 18:26, Iain Robertson <iain.robertson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 July 2015 at 18:25, Robert Hudson <hudrob at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 14 July 2015 at 18:07, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The carriers are already on board.
>>>

>> In some countries, absolutely.  But here in Australia, Telstra are still
>> unable to offer IPv6 over their 3G or 4G networks (I have this on good
>> authority as a partner who may be putting tens if not hundreds of thousands
>> of end-points onto their networks), and my understanding is that Optus and
>> Vodafone are in no better a position.
>>

> Unable, or unwilling?

I'd argue that the difference is semantics.  If their network team or
billing team or product team or some other back-end team is unwilling, then
their sales team is unable.  However, given the talks I've had with Telstra
account management, the answer is still unable I believe, as there are
issues they need to solve (not necessarily technology ones) before they can
turn it on.

On 3G/4G, as far as the customer/partner is concerned, their answer is
"no".  On other networks, they can (and do) do it.