[AusNOG] Apple say "biasing towards IPv6 is now beneficial for our customers"

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 17:58:20 EST 2015

On 14 Jul 2015 17:30, "Robert Hudson" <hudrob at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 July 2015 at 17:25, Mark Smith <markzzzsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Possibly the more significant thing is that Apple are making IPv6
support for apps a mandatory requirement for IOS 9 and later.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/apple-to-ios-devs-ipv6-only-cell-service-is-coming-soon-get-your-apps-ready/

> A shame they don't enforce the same requirement on the carriers.  There's
no point having IPv6 capable apps if there's no IPv6 network...

Telstra just spent $100M on "public WiFi". While I don't know if they're
providing IPv6 over it, from what I'm aware of regarding 3GPP networks (see
RFC7278 for a work around to 3GPP versions trapping handsets into not
supporting DHCPv6), deploying IPv6 over carrier WiFi should be easy because
they're not very different to private WiFi.

So in the case of 3GPP networks, it's leaning towards being a technology
problem. However, with public and private WiFi networks it's more likely to
be a people problem, because they haven't spent the effort to switch it on.

(And I wonder who is going to provide a wholesale public WiFi network to
compete with Telstra's retail one? I've been wondering that for a few years
now.)